General Information


Are Service Seals public domain?

Graphic images and guidance on their use is available a


How do I obtain permission to use a service seal for commercial purposes?

Those wishing to use service seals (Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Department of Defense) for commercial purposes should contact the appropriate office listed at


How do I obtain permission to use a unit insignia?

The Institute of Heraldry does not grant permission to use an individual unit insignia or maintain a roster of names of unit commanders. The unit's commander is responsible for granting permission to use unit insignia for commercial purposes.


Can I use images from the Institute of Heraldry website?

Yes, images can be used for official, non-commercial purposes. If you are planning to link images to another website, please contact USARMY Ft Belvoir HQDA Mailbox TIOH Webmaster for permission.


How can I work at the Institute of Heraldry?

The Institute of Heraldry is located at Ft. Belvoir, Virginia. Its small staff of Department of Army civilians is made up of program analysts, illustrators, industrial specialists, a quality assurance specialist and supply management technicias as well as several supervisory positions. All job announcements for TIOH are posted on the Army's civilian recruiting website at In addition to qualifications listed, successful employees will have a strong drive to produce the highest quality products and services for the military and other federal agencies, a commitment to customer satisfaction, a team player and the ability to think creatively.