Insignia and Decorations


Where can I purchase historical insignia or medals?

Click Here to see a list of manufacturers that sell insignia, awards and decorations.


What are the proper disposition instructions for heraldic items?

Organizational colors, guidons and any other heraldic items or objects that are historically significant to the unit, are to be turned into the US Center of Military History, Museum Support Center. For specific disposition instructions, please submit a request via email to Mr. Cottrell @ or 256-741-5211.


Where can I find information on insignia and medals?

This website contains a vast amount of information on insignia and medals. Information is updated on a weekly basis. If you are seeking more specific information, it is suggested that you conduct an internet search or visit a local library to obtain books on these subjects.


Does TIOH authorize state awards?

Many State militias have an awards and decorations program that is authorized by the Governor for the State National Guard under Title 32 but cannot be worn when the units are Federalized under Title 10.  TIOH, as a courtesy, may review new state awards to insure they do not conflict with federal awards.



Can the Institute of Heraldry help me identify insignia, ribbons and medals?

The Institute of Heraldry has a small staff of research analysts that can assist, on a very limited basis, with identification of insignia, ribbons and medals. This function is handled as time permits so there may be a long period before a reply is received. Inquiries that include a description or photograph can be sent to USARMY Ft Belvoir HQDA Mailbox TIOH Webmaster. There are also several private organizations that provide identification services for large collections. Listings of such groups can be found by conducting an internet search.



Why is my unit insignia missing from the Institute of Heraldry web site?

The Institute of Heraldry has an ongoing project to digitize insignia. As this project is worked on "as time permits", we have made active unit insignia our first priority. All insignia designs were originally hand drawn. It is a time consuming process to convert these drawings into accurate computer renderings. As new unit insignia is added, it is shown under Recently Added Items.



Can the Institute of Heraldry provide me with a graphic image of my unit's insignia?

Requests for graphic images can be sent to USARMY Ft Belvoir HQDA Mailbox TIOH Webmaster. We will attempt to provide the highest resolution image available in our database, but note that all insignia are not yet available or in a high resolution/vector format. We provide this service as a courtesy to active and reserve military organizations only. Please give us time to retrieve images.



Who is responsible for awards policy and uniform wear questions?

The Institute of Heraldry is responsible for design of unit insignia, awards, decorations, badges and flags, but does not determine awards or wear policy. Within the U. S. Army, the Military Awards Policy Branch, The Adjutant General Directorate, Human Resources Command has overall responsibility for Army Awards Policy. Their web address is: E-mail address:


For information on uniform wear policy, consult Army Regulation 670-1, Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia. Uniform policy website and point of contact information is located at DCS G-1.



Where can I get ribbons or medals replaced?

Requests for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations and awards should be directed to the specific branch of the military in which the veteran served. However, for cases involving Air Force and Army personnel, the NPRC will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request along with the records verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.


Please visit the following link for additional information: OR


How do I request band regalia? 

Bands are authorized band regalia consisting of designs for the following items: Drum, Mace, Baldric, and Tabard. Upon request, TIOH will prepare proposed designs for use on the band regalia. If acceptable to the unit, the unit obtains these items through local purchase procedures.